10.21.2008

Past Homemade Halloween Costumes




I have always loved Halloween....as a child nothing is more fun than playing dress up and having the entire neighborhood play along by handing out candy for your efforts. I wonder if small children think they can get away with this every day.

Making the kids halloween costumes is one of the most fun things I do all year. The actual ' making of the costumes ' isnt so fun I guess...but taking them around Trick or Treating is just great. I love to listen to people comment on their cool, one of a kind costumes while I secretly hide out in the car. Its so much fun!

I have posted pics of some of the costumes from the last 3 years. The one of Meg as Pepperoni Pizza cracks me up because of how horrible my digital camera was back then....and I was so proud to have it. The pizza had a back crust as well with straps that hung over Meg's shoulders and straps down near her waist that kept it from flopping around too much. That year Madi was a bunch of grapes. I stitched purple grapes to a purple sweatshirt which was stitched closed between her legs so it would stay down. I hand sewed a little grape leaf with curly vines coming off for the top of her head. It was really cute and Im sad that I dont have a picture of it :(

I should also note that all of the costumes in these pictures were put together by hand, without a sewing maching...because I didnt have one back then. It would take me a VERY long time to make these costumes so that the kids could wear them for a couple of hours on one night....but it was so worth it to me! They are always a huge success!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

The time Ellen was a dead head in the fridge was scarry. I can't wait to see what you come up with this year. Enjoy it while you can, before you know it they will be out of that stage. Have you done any more pinwheels? I am thinking of starting a new table topper, for winter. I need to find a cute pattern on the internet that I can coppy. Maybe a cardnial on a bird feeder. K

April said...

The freezer costume was one of the best....both costumes should turn out quite nicely this year too. Madi will be a woman who is carrying her head on a platter and Ellen will be a Gothic Barbie....I cant wait until the costumes are done!!! I have been doing pinwheels and they are so much easier with the pattern you sent me! Thank you!!!