11.06.2008

Our New President

Broc Obama

Election day was a lot of fun for us. I was really excited to go and cast my vote on Nov. 4 2008. Carl and I generally always go together and this time was no exception. We talked all morning about the issues that would be on the ballot and looked things up online so that we would be educated voters this time. Not that we normally arent, but there always seems to be something on the ballot that I didnt remember reading about or dont know much about ... so this time we went in prepared.

The girls came home from school all abuzz about who their classmates voted for and who won at their school...Obama won at both Bueker Middle School and the High School. Ellen said that Bueker has picked the president for as far back as any of the teachers can remember so I became a little worried. Madi and Ellen both voted for McCain...Ellen had been campaigning around the house for Obama for weeks and changed her mind at the last minute. Madi never waivered in her choice. She told me back in April or May that she was picking McCain. She had learned that he has a lot of pets...16 or 17...and thought that if he could manage that many pets, he could manage our country. Shes very wise for a 10 year old. Megan, on the other hand, chose Obama. I think she just liked him because everyone in her school was saying that McCain was an old fart and Obama was younger so he would be a better president. They didnt really have any facts...typical for teenagers, if you ask me....and this is my blog so my opinion is the only one that matters. hahaha

Anyway...we attended an Election Extravaganza at the college library that evening. There was folk music, cookie voting contest, funny masks for everyone to wear of their favorite candidate, door prizes (I won a calendar), and of course we all watched the progress of the election on TV. It was a lot of fun...but all good things must come to an end. We came home and continued to be glued to the news/internet watching the results....Obama wins....congratulations Megan...she is the sole winner in our house!


No comments: