8.20.2008

Banana Pudding

Ellen has been begging for banana pudding for weeks now and I just haven't really had the time. So this should be a nice surprise for her when she gets home from volleyball practice today. I cheated and used instant vanilla pudding but it still tastes really yummy. Here is what I did:

I ground up some graham crackers and mixed with a little bit of sugar and melted butter and pressed into the bottom of the glass bowl. Mixed together 2 small boxes of instant vanilla pudding with 2 cups cold milk and one can of sweetened condensed milk and beat for about 2 minutes. I then mixed up some whipping cream and sugar until firm and folded in half of the whipped topping with the pudding. Now its time for the fun part.....layer the pudding mixture, sliced bananas and vanilla wafers on top of the graham cracker "crust" until you run out of pudding...then top with remaining whipped topping and sprinkle some graham crackers over the top. This dessert tastes better if it sits in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (at least) before serving.

I'm sorry that I don't have better measurements but I generally just throw things in without measuring much. This makes it really hard when teaching the kids how to cook. Ellen always asks "how much of that do you put it?" and I never know....I just say "oh, just a little bit, enough to make it work". I'm sure its quite confusing to her. She is really a great cook though. She cooks for us quite a bit and can really follow a recipe good. When we went camping this last time, she cooked one of our meals for us over the campfire all by herself and did a great job!
I am experimenting with a recipe for an Eye of Round roast that I found online recently. I made a rub out of coffee grounds, cumin, cayenne pepper, minced garlic, salt & pepper and I'm supposed to put it in the oven on 475 for 7 min. per pound,then turn off the oven and leave it in for 2 to 2 1/2 hours without opening the oven. Its supposed to make the roast super tender. We'll see.....we're having that tonight...Ill let you know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMMMMMM!!!! cant wait til i get to eat it!

April said...

It was really good. The roast turned out very good as well. The coffee rub had a fantastic flavor to it. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Mom it's Ellen i'm at school will you PLEASE make that again like right now!! please, it sounds and looks REALLY good!! lol love ya

-LN